Evergreen Cemetery History
|Evergreen Cemetery Chapel
In 1871, the El Paso County Cemetery was located near present day Sawatch St. and Pueblo St., where the old Crissey
Fowler building was located and not too far from the railroad station where tourists arrived. Gen. William Palmer and others
saw a potential for Colorado Springs to be advertised for it's "Health" benefits as they were planning the community. The
cemetery held more interred residents than the living residents of the city. This was not seen as being a positive thing when
they were trying to encourage new visitors.
Colorado Springs was an up and coming metropolis. Gen. Palmer set aside 40 acres for a new cemetery.
In 1875, General Palmer's 40 acres of land were deeded to the city for a new cemetery on Mt. Washington,
which was located approx. 10 miles out of the new city. It was called Mt. Washington Cemetery. In 1877, the name was
changed to Evergreen Cemetery. The original 40 acres is located around sections 2,3,4,9,39,40,41,44,32,31,and 15. Some from
the El County Cemetery were moved to Mt. Washington.
Through the years this cemetery has grown and presently interrs over 90,000 residents. The oldest graves are in Potter's
Field where the poor were buried. Some are marked with stone monuments, but many more had no monument or wooden monuments
that have rotted away through time. It is estimated that 1200 to 1400 people were buried in that field. Potter's Field
is located on the south east section of the cemetery. The gentle rolling field is not only a home for the some of the
first pioneers, but also deer, fox, and even some prairie dogs.
The chapel was built after Gen. Palmer's death. In March 1909, General Palmer passed away and the mourners had no place
to shelter them from the freezing temperatures. The Ladies Aid Society lobbied the Colorado Springs City Council for a chapel
that would offer a comfortable setting to accomidate loved ones. The chapel was completed in 1910 at the cost of $10,000.